Friday, July 11, 2008

Zucchini Bread



This is an adulterated form of Betty Crocker recipe. I think it tastes a lot better because I used mostly brown sugar instead of all white which gives it a much richer flavor, and I also reduce the total amount of sugar a little bit and make it cholesterol free by using only egg whites.

Two or three shredded zucchinis
1 and 1/6 cup brown sugar
1/6 cup white sugar
2/3 cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 or 4 egg whites
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 tea spoon salt
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon ground cloves
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/2 half cup chopped nuts if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix zucchini with all the wet ingredients. Then add dry ingredients. This just makes the stirring go a bit smoother. If you wanted you could mix the wet and dry separately in different bowls but I don't like to dirty more dishes than necessary.

Then grease your pan. This recipe should fill two loaf pans, either 8-inch pans for 50-60 minutes or 9-inch pans for 1 hour 10 or 1 hour 20 minutes.

As I am in college and I don't like to store a gazillion different utensils in my small apartment only to pack them up and move them every other semester, I use an 8 by 8 inch glass brownie tray and bake it for about 1 hour 10 or 20 minutes and that has always worked out fine. Although you should make sure to take the bread out of the pan before cutting it and cut it into long strips and then cut those in half. Don't cut it into giant cubes because they will not be able to fit into your toaster.

After baking, let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack (if available) for 2 more hours. If you don't do this the bread will be very crumbly when you cut it, but if that doesn't bother you than by all means dig in while it's warm and gooey.

2 comments:

Anna said...

OH YUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM!!!! have any of this left?!? I LOVE zucchini bread! I want some. RIGHT NOW.

Kate said...

I just made some of this, but I didn't have any eggs so I used vanilla yogurt instead and it was like biting into angel babies (Very scrumptious and a little gooey in the middle).