Sunday, January 2, 2011

Black Bean Cakes two ways.


SO! Happy new year!!

One of the things I will be trying this year is to eat out less and eat at home more. There is such a sense of accomplishment when I finish cooking a meal, and I almost always feel better after eating because I know what goes into it (even if I'm digesting cookies with 2 sticks of butter in them, at least I know it's in there).

I've decided to go ahead and start up this blog again. Because I refuse to let it die. And because it may help me in sticking with my goal if I can show off my tasty food to others.

Last night Evan and I were hanging out and made Black Bean patties from his Everyday Food Cookbook. We had them plain, with just a little big of yogurt-dill dipping sauce, but they'd also make great veggie burgers.

Black Bean Cakes (pretty much they are like patties)

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon cumin
4 scallions
6 garlic cloves
1 sweet potato, skinned and shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 jalepeno pepper, diced with no seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and peper

You'll be broiling these in the oven instead of frying so this ends up being a pretty healthy dish. First, in a skillet fry up the garlic and scallions with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Then add the Jalepino and the cumin and fry it all together for a few minutes. Put the black beans in a bowl and then add the cooked garlic,scallions,ect. Mash it up with a fork, you want about a quarter of the beans in there to be left whole. Fold in sweet potato. Add the egg and then the bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper.

On a baking tray, brush out the other tablespoon of oil. Form patties and place on the sheet. Broil these for about 8-10 minutes (my oven was NOT working last night so I had to cook mine for...oh...40 minutes. It never got hotter than 300...). Flip the patties and cook for another 2-3 minutes until it's brown and a little crispy. BAM! DONE!

Yogurt-Dill Sauce
Some yogurt, some lemon juice, some dill. BADDA BAM!

Since I had leftovers I made a tasty brunch. Re-heat the patties, fry an egg and put it on time, and garnish with a few scallions and salt and pepper. I think this would be awesome with a little hot sauce or ketchup, but I don't own any.

1 comment:

SCRuskin said...

poached egg would be great on those bean patties