Friday, January 21, 2011

Garlic Butter Mushroom Pasta w/Kale, Cherry Tomatoes


Yesterday I randomly bought a small batch of mushrooms. I've never cooked with mushrooms before but have been ordering and eating them more at restaurants and wanted to try my hand at it. My parents never served mushrooms to me while I was younger-well, I can't really say that. They probably did but I was too busy eating my blue-box-mac'n'cheese to notice. Thank goodness I grew out of that and will gladly eat/try/enjoy any food set in front of me. Except horseradish. And shrimp. And maybe kiwi, but I haven't had a kiwi in maybe 15 years (if ever).

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushroom Pasta With Kale and Cherry Tomatoes

I should note that this recipe is adapted from the stunning Smitten Kitchen. Check it out!

8 oz mushrooms- I used white mushrooms but button mushrooms would work just as nice, or any variety for that matter. You could also probably increase the amount of mushrooms if you really like mushrooms.
4 cloves of garlic (or more!)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
salt and pepper and any herbs you want.
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a few cherry tomatoes, I used about 7 or 8, halved
a handful of kale, chopped loosely
Parmesan or Romano cheese.


Preheat oven to 450. Mix the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and olive oil together. Mix in a dash of salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish and cube three tablespoons of butter and place it over the mushrooms. Bake, making sure to stir every once in awhile, for 15-20 minutes or whenever the mushrooms are brown and soft. Once finished add the teaspoon of lemon juice and any fresh herbs you'd like. In a frying pan, heat up some butter or oil and lightly fry over low heat the cherry tomatoes and kale. Once kale is fully wilted and cherry tomatoes are slightly bursting from their skin, mix with cooked pasta and the mushroom/onion mixture. make sure the get all the juice from the mushrooms onto the pasta, it creates a light flavored sauce.
Top with some grated cheese.

Woo! Dinner! Fancy!

1 comment:

kath said...

veganized this recipe & i loved it. a nice, light, healthy dinner.